Frequently Asked Questions About Negotiating Child Custody And Visitation

Regardless of the circumstances surrounding a divorce, the formulation of child custody and visitation plans can be among the most difficult parts of the process. Many parents have questions about how custody and visitation are determined.

An experienced family law attorney can help you create a strong custody plan. Our firm, the Law Offices of Robert E. O'Connor, P.C., has helped hundreds of parents in Media, Pennsylvania, and the surrounding area develop custody plans. Here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions on this topic.

What are the most common types of custody arrangements that are awarded?

There are two main types of custody, physical and legal. Physical custody refers to which parent a child lives with. Legal custody defines which parent has the legal authority to make decisions concerning the child.

Each type of custody may be awarded entirely to one parent or shared between both parents.

What factors do judges consider when determining custody?

The court will always be focused on one primary condition when awarding custody: what is in the best interests of the child? Factors for each parent that can influence that decision can include:

  • Medical history
  • Income
  • History of arrests or convictions
  • Habits such as drinking or smoking

How does visitation differ from custody?

Visitation rights refer to the legal rights of a noncustodial parent (one without physical custody rights) to spend time with their child. A custodial parent often has greater influence than a noncustodial parent in determining a visitation schedule.

Do my parents have a right to spend time with my children after the divorce?

Yes, Pennsylvania recognizes the visitation rights of grandparents.

Does the court have to honor the wishes of my older children related to custody arrangements?

State laws allow children age 12 and older to have a choice in determining which custody and visitation arrangements they would prefer.

Contact Us About Child Custody Issues

Lawyer Robert E. O'Connor can help you resolve your child custody issues. Call 484-443-3087 today or use our online form.